2. Application concept
If interaction elements have been selected and their scheduled application planned, it is necessary to draft the use of the iTV application. This should be viewed and configured as an independent medium and part of the overall concept. In order to understand the medium of iTV application, one should familiarise oneself with its strengths.
- The iTV application takes on many strengths of the medium TV: E.g. live character, simplicity, living room as an interaction space, guarantee of privacy
- The iTV application takes on many strengths of the medium PC: E.g. individuality, communication, basis for applications
- The iTV application has a number of new strengths: E.g. directness of TV interaction (e.g. winnings), frame-true TV synchronisation (e.g. for games), timeshift, multi-feed
A successful application concept works with these strengths in its time and content-based configuration. Here are a few positive examples.
- In the weeks prior to starting the TV transmission an advertising iTV application in conjunction with trailers results in an increase in curiosity and facilitates sending an email to the user, with the aid of which he is subsequently reminded at his PC of the login to the website.
- By sending documentation, the respective user is provided with the possibility, by means of timeshift and "contents on demand", to examine the themes of greatest interest to him intensively at his own leisure.
- During a boxing match the user is able to evaluate the punches live, just as the judges do.
- Directly after a science fiction programme an iTV application offers merchandise and further follow-ups in a VoD process.
- During the broadcasting of a show-jumping tournament, the user is able to compete in parallel with the star by partaking in a synchronised Jump&Run game.
- During the advertising break prior to the judgement being issued in courtroom drama, the user is able to provide his proposed sentence.
- A permanently aired iTV application offers updated news daily, "top secret" information and the best clips from a "Big Brother" format.
Here are a few examples of meaningless (and even counterproductive) use of iTV applications:
- Forced break in the TV drama
- Complex e-shops
- World Wide Web
Introduction to interactive television
2. Application concept